Protocol Education are working with a college that support children who are visually impaired, they are looking for a TA who is BSL trained to work in the Bromley area.
Objectives of the Job Role
- As part of this dedicated and enthusiastic team, you will support students from a range of different backgrounds with vision impairment, to effectively access their courses.
- This role will involve working with students with profound hearing loss, who use BSL as their main form of communication.
- You will promote the students' independence in learning and skills
- Working alongside and in liaison with a range of college specialists and professionals, you will ensure that the students’ experience is rich, varied and contributes to developing independence and wellbeing.
Key Tasks and Main Duties
- Support the delivery of learning programmes delivered
- Safeguarding of students, understanding of relevant protocol, reporting concerns promptly following the College procedures.
- Support the students to develop independent study skills and develop their independence in wider contexts, including travel skills.
- Produce adapted classroom resources, providing classroom support or supported study, for a range of courses.
- Support the students to fully participate in a range of learning and leisure activities.
- Use ICT and other technologies, to adapt classroom resources in students’ preferred mediums.
- Track and record student progress and achievement within set timeframes.
- Have a clear understanding of individual student strategies, including mobility, learning, adaptive, medical, or behavioural strategies, to promote independence and enable students to manage and take increased responsibility for their own learning and behaviour.
Educational and Professional Qualifications
- GCSEs or equivalent Level 2 qualification.
- Minimum of Level 2 Qualification in English and mathematics or working towards.
- Level 3 BSL
- A Levels, Level 3 NVQ in a related subject (e.g. Learning Support) or other Level 3 qualification.
- UEB Grade 1 and/or 2 Braille
- Qualifications at Level 3 and above
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to think creatively and problem solve.
- Ability to use basic ICT software, particularly Word, and Outlook.
- Awareness and understanding of Equality and Diversity.
- Knowledge of how the support role promotes independent learning and personal development.
- Knowledge and understanding of student assessment, progress, evaluation, and reporting of attainment.
- Ability to work under own initiative and as part of a wider team.
- Understanding and awareness of individual needs and ability to adjust.
- Motivation to participate in ongoing training and self-directed CPD programmes.
- Flexibility and ability to work with students, following a range of programmes at different levels.
- Experience of working with young people with Vision Impairment or Multisensory impairment and other additional learning needs and/or disabilities.
- Familiar with different communication aids and adaptive technology that aids student learning and communication.
- Experience in an Educational or Care setting, in a support role.
All applicants will require the appropriate qualifications and training for this role. Please see the FAQs on the Protocol Education website for further details.
All pay rates quoted will be inclusive of 12.07% statutory holiday pay. This advert is for a temporary position. In some cases, the option to make this role permanent may become available at a later date.
Protocol Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. We undertake safeguarding checks on all workers in accordance with the DfE statutory guidance ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’, this may also include an online search as part of our due diligence on shortlisted applicants.
We offer FREE online safeguarding and Prevent Duty training to all our workers. All candidates must undertake or have undertaken a valid enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and subscribe to the DBS Update Service.