Supporting the Student
-To develop a knowledge of a range of learning support needs and to develop an understanding of the specific needs of the student to be supported.
-Lead individual student/small group sessions as outlined by the EHCP under the direction of the SENCO.
-Taking into account the learning support involved, to aid the student to learn as effectively as possible both in group situations and on his/her own by, for example:
• Clarifying and explaining instructions
• Ensuring the student is organised with equipment required for the lesson
• Motivating and encouraging the student as required
• Assisting in weaker areas, e.g. language, behaviour, reading, spelling, handwriting/ presentation etc.
• Helping students to concentrate on and finish work set
• Make notes for the student to use or see that notes are available
• Inform the teacher if the student is experiencing continued difficulties with certain tasks that are set, or social difficulties with peers (particularly related to grouping or seating arrangements)
• Where agreed, maintain contact with home through a home/academy book
• Liaising with class teacher and SENCO about setting appropriate targets
• To establish a supportive relationship with the student concerned
• To encourage acceptance and inclusion of the student with special needs
• To develop methods of promoting/reinforcing the student's self-esteem
• To write a report to be included in academy review reports
• Assist with exam invigilation, amanuensis, reading etc.
• Accompanying targeted students on Educational trips off-site' where the time-table allows
Supporting the Teacher
- To assist, with class teacher in the development of a suitable programme of support or in preparing appropriate materials for the student.
- To participate in the evaluation of the support programme.
- To provide regular feedback about the student to the teacher and SENCO.
- To keep records of work done during lessons and observations of successes/difficulties with work and behaviour.
- Following up late' or missing' students.
- Recording lesson notes when students are absent.
Supporting the Curriculum
- To develop knowledge of the curriculum which the students are expected to follow.
- To develop skills to adapt subject-based activities and resources to meet the needs of the student (in conjunction with the teacher).
Supporting the Academy
- To liaise, advise and consult with other members of the team supporting the student when asked to do so.
- To contribute to reviews of students' progress, as appropriate.
- To attend relevant in-service training.
- To be aware of academy procedures.
- To be aware of confidential issues linked to home/student/teacher/academy work and to keep confidences appropriately.
- To attend and participate in meetings: whole academy and departmental.
- Participate in INSET days.
Any other tasks as directed by the head teacher which fall within the purview of the post.
Outside the successful classroom the LSA may be asked to supervise the student moving between lessons and during planning/preparation time. This will be according to the need, with the purpose of ensuring a safe' environment. This will be classed as teaching time.
Interviews are being held ASAP so to be considered for this role, please apply immediately!
All applicants will require the appropriate qualifications and training for this role. Please see protocol-education.com/FAQs for further details.
All pay rates quoted will be inclusive of 12.07% statutory holiday pay. This advert is for a temporary position. In some cases, the option to make this role permanent may become available at a later date.
Protocol Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. We undertake safeguarding checks on all workers in accordance with the DfE statutory guidance ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’. We also offer FREE online safeguarding and Prevent Duty training to all our workers, if your certificates are not within the last 12 months. All candidates must undertake or have undertaken a valid enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and subscribe to the DBS Update Service.